Friday 28 July 2023

Fine Fabrics Fair

Today was predicted to be another mostly dry and sunny day (but not too warm) - and so it also turned out. I had read in our local newspaper about a "Fine Fabrics Fair" at the Textile Fashion Center this weekend, so decided to go and have a look at that. Not to buy anything, but just to have a look around - and snap a few photos...

The fair was set up in connection to the museum shop at the entrance to the Textile Museum. 




I was never much into sewing myself (I switched to woodwork in secondary school...), but walking around here for a while made me think of my mother. She used to make most of her own clothes herself - and a lot for me and the rest of the family as well. When I think about it, I actually seem to have no memories of going shopping for clothes with my mum (trying things on etc)  - only of sometimes accompanying her to shops selling fabrics. (I think we also bought some things from mail order catalogs, though.) 


Some fashion/design items are sold in the museum shop even when there's no special fair going on.

 


(Meike, I thought of you when I saw this tray...)

The weather was still fine when I got out from the Fine Fabrics Fair, so I decided to walk on from there to the shopping mall area some distance further away. Usually when I go shopping there, I take a bus to get there, and then sometimes walk back home (if I don't have too much to carry); but today I did the opposite: I walked all the way there, but took a bus part of the way back. 


Old railway station building across the road from the Textile Fashion Center. (Nowadays used as offices for one or two businesses.) 


A mural I passed a bit further on.


Photo from inside the shopping mall where one of my favourite clothes shops is situated. That was the only shop I went into on this occasion. They had a sale going on, and it struck me that I might take the opportunity to look for a spring/summer/early autumn jacket. I've been looking in a few shops in the city centre without finding what I was after: Not a rain jacket, but still more protective than a "suit" jacket, or my short denim jacket...

As it turned out, my favourite shop in the mall did have one that was "pretty much" what I had in mind - and 30% off the original price. So I bought it.

Below is a mirror photo taken when I tried it on again back home:

 

 

 

 

13 comments:

  1. Your jacket is beautiful. Is it really this pale green color? The yellow railway station building is gorgeous!! I don't remember ever shopping for clothes with my mom, maybe only once? All my clothes were either made by her or hand me downs from relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, yes, the jacket is pale green. Good colour as it will go with pretty much any other without "clashing"...

      Delete
  2. P.S. I adore the fox tray, and would have bought it on the spot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I was tempted, but resisted... It did not come cheap!

      Delete
  3. You look gorgeous in your new jacket, and it is a pretty color and style. I also like the red rocking sheep and fox tray. I have two tee shirts with Japanese foxes on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. The jacket was in the style I had been searching for, and I like the colour too.

      Delete
  4. Like Ginny, I would have bought that fox tray on the spot!
    Your jacket is a good find, perfect for those in between days when it is not cold enough for a winter coat but not warm enough for just a cardie, either.
    What does påskrå mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, they only sell quality and 'design' items in that shop - which is also reflected in the prices... Knowing that I already have three or four trays of the same size and quality at home made me resist this time! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Meike, 'På Skrå' (two words) is the name of the fabric shop at the museum. I was wondering about it myself, so had to do a bit of research. "på" is a prepositon, meaning "on". "skrå" I only knew as an old word for "trade" or "guild" (historical association of craftsmen or merchants). Checking a dictionary I find that "på skrå" can also mean "diagonally" or "crosswise", though. So I'm thinking the name of the shop may refer both to the cutting of fabric, and tailoring being an old profession.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my first thought when i saw the tray is, ginny will want it and she did. your coat is perfect for autum weather and love the color. I liked the gray coat that looks like a cloak. no where to wear one though. I would enjoy the fabric also for the same reasons, mother only had one store bought dress that i remember, it was the one she wore to my wedding. she made all of her clothes and some of mine, mostly i wore cousins hand me downs. mother was not a good seamstress, her dresses looked homemade. I enjoyed your walk, i think you see more on foot. like that wild mural and the train station. so glad you are having weather that allows you the pleasure of walking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, at a certain age I was not all happy about having all my clothes home-made, even though my mum was a good seamstress. On the other hand, I never had to wear hand-me-downs, as I had no one to inherit from...

      Delete
  7. I love fabric shops, and would have spent quite a time in the Textile Fashion Centre. I studied Fashion and Design, so have always had an interest in clothes and textiles. For many years I made almost all my own clothes, as well as curtains and other household items. When we lived in the UK I regularly used to visit a fabric warehouse which sold practically every fabric under the sun. It was the most amazing place.
    I love your new jacket - it looks very smart and yet so practical too. I should imagine you will have a lot of use from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, with that background I'm sure you'd love our Textile Fashion Centre and Museum :)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...