Friday 14 July 2023

Watching Trees Grow

 

 

The Ornäs birch, (Swedish Ornäsbjörk) is a variety of silver birch which is also the national tree of Sweden. (Wikipedia)

The original Ornäs birch was discovered in 1767 in the village of Ornäs, in the central Swedish province of Dalarna. The man who discovered it sent a description of the tree to the University of Uppsala botanist Carl Linnaeus. Cuttings were taken from the original tree, from which all Ornäs birch trees have been propagated. The tree fell in a storm on 26 May 1890. Two new trees were planted in its place, taken from cuttings of the original tree. 

In 1985, the Ornäs birch was named as the national tree of Sweden, and examples have been planted in central locations in Swedish towns from Trelleborg in the south to Kiruna in the north.

The one in our town park here in Borås was planted in 1986 - which happens to be the same year that I moved here to live. So I'm used to just passing it without giving it much thought. But the other day I happened to stop and read that plaque on the stone, and ponder for a bit... No doubt the tree must have been quite small when it was first planted. But having walked by every now and then for 37 years, I can't say I really ever noticed it growing...

I asked the Bing Image Creator for a "woman watching a birch tree grow", and this is what I got:


10 comments:

  1. i love them ALL, leaning a little toward the black and white but think I like the top right one best. you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I agree, my favourite is the top right one too. (The top left one btw is weird when you enlarge it, because that woman is sticking her tongue out!!)

      Delete
  2. The world needs more trees, good to see it still there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The image creator worked beautifully! I have always really liked Birch trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, birch trees are very typically Swedish to me. Do you have them where you live too?

      Delete
  4. They are all good interpretations but I think the top right has a feeling of serenity about it. It's how we would like to feel watching the tree grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, that image is my favourite interpretation of the prompt too.

      Delete
  5. Birch trees are beautiful! In some years, I have reacted strongly to their pollen, but that‘s my fault, not theirs 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I react to pollen too, so can't always "embrace" the beauty of spring and early summer as much as I'd like to...

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...