Tuesday 4 July 2023

Overlay Images

For Sandra the MadSnapper and others who enjoy playing around with images... ;)

Sandra's comment on my previous post: "wait till you figure out how to put the cut out in a photo. woo hoo"

So of course I had to take on the challenge, and find at least one simple way to do that...

Today I found this free online tool: https://overlay.imageonline.co/ and tried a few experiments with my recent photos + the cut-out feature that I accidentally happened to find included in the photo gallery on my Samsung Galaxy phone. (I did the overlay editing on my computer though, not on the phone. That might be possible too, I suppose - but I prefer a bigger screen for things like this.)



I thought the dry football (soccer) ground could do with a splash of colour, so I stole a flower pot from the apartment complex down by the river to liven up the place. (Not very convincing, but ok for my first experiment.)

 


I also brought the watering can from the cemetery to another dry spot nearby. (As I still don't know how to separate the tap from the can, that had to come, too.)

 

I moved a grave ornament from one spot to another, giving it a more interesting background. (This one I think actually looks quite convincing, if you have no special reason to question it...)

Feeling bold now, I even experimented with moving a skyscraper around to change the silhouette of the townscape...

Below is the original photo! That grey "tower" is really in a different place altogether - a few hundred meters to the right of the photo above.

(original photo)
 



13 comments:

  1. This sounds like great fun! Just imagine how you can change the whole image of a city and confuse everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, just now I'm thinking that the more I learn, it will also make me increasingly suspicious of the authenticity of anything I see online... ;-)

      Delete
  2. I've forgotten all my photo editing skills. I used to change skies which was easy but I wouldn't know where to start now. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham. Normally I just do some basic photo editing like cropping and adjusting light and contrast etc. But got curious when I disovered this cut-out feature on my new phone... And a rainy few days now made me explore a bit more what it might be useful for! :-)

      Delete
  3. great! You are right, the more I do this stuff, each time I see a photo I say I think they photoshopped it. like rainbows and things that look really good. sometime i try to recreate what I think has been altered. Wild clapping on the changing of the sky line, looks like it is really there. check to see is there a thing to use to fade the insert, like the watering can, I usualy drag the opacity a teeny bit, to make it look more real and to get rid of the faucet, look for an icon for eraser. if I were doing the can, i would erase the faucet but I think it looks great with the faucet because it needs water on the grass and flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I could change the opacity (and did test that a bit) but there was no eraser. (On that particular website, which I chose for its simplicity.)

      Delete
  4. You did really good for a beginner! Sandra knows so much about this, and is such a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. And yes, Sandra is way ahead of me here, and will probably continue to be... ;-)

      Delete
  5. Always good to start off with small things, very soon you'll be doing alot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, that remains to be seen... (How much I find it worth spending time on!)

      Delete
  6. As you say, it now makes you question the authenticity of pictures even more than before, seeing how easy it is to alter them.
    I like that you gave the dry patch a tap and a watering can!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...