Saturday 30 December 2023

From a Far and Lovely Country - Book Review

 

I can hardly believe that this is actually the 24th book in Alexander McCall Smith's series about the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency in Botswana - and I think I've read them all. Some in print, some as audio books; some in Swedish translation, others in English. 

The first book was published in 1998. I did not start keeping record of the books I read until 2002, so I'm not sure when I first read it - but my own statistics tell me that that in January 2006, I read the first three in this series in a row, in Swedish, borrowed from the library. (Whether for the first time, or rereading, I'm not sure.) And since then I have kept on following the series, I think pretty much in order. In the early years I borrowed them from the library in Swedish; in later years (from No. 19 onward) I've listened to them in English as audio books from Audible. It's "comfortable" reading to me, as the main characters feel like old friends by now. But somehow the author does also manage to let them evolve and mature a bit as they grow older (while still "remaining themselves").

In this book, Charlie (previously working for Mma Ramotswe's husband in his garage, but in later years also helping out as apprentice to Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi at the detective agency) is entrusted with an enquiry of his own - and manages to get into some trouble which after all turns out to also need the experience of the more mature ladies to sort out. Certain problems also arise in connection with Mma Ramotswe's birthday, with a red dress that is given to her as a birthday present, but turns out to be too small for her, so that it splits when she tries it on... This requires some delicacy to solve as well (without hurting anyone's feelings). The mysteries, problems and relationships in these books are often of "everyday" character, rather than very serious and violent crimes; and I guess that is why we like them. (Well - those of us that do!)

McCall Smith is an amazingly productive writer - see the Wikipedia bibliography page. (I started counting, but gave up...) Besides the No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series I have also read a few (but far from all) in the 44 Scotland Street series and the Sunday Philosophy Club series. But he seems to have written lots and lots of other books besides those as well. (It's beyond me how he manages it!!!) The Botswana series is my favourite, though.

 

6 comments:

  1. I don‘t think I have ever read any of his work myself, but I know about his Botswana series from your blog. Every now and then I think it would be nice to read stories set in a totally different area from where I am familiar with most places mentioned, such as the DCI Oldroyd series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I do think that the "different" background in these books is indeed a large part of their charm.

      Delete
  2. I have only read three or four of The No1 Ladies Detective Agency series and that was some time ago. I enjoyed them but just haven't thought to download more on my Kindle, with so many other books available. I've also read and enjoyed a couple of the 44 Scotland Street and just one of the Sunday Philosophy Club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, with the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series I'd say it's probably not necessary to read them all, or in the right order. Just one of those series that I happened to get started on, liked, and continued to follow...

      Delete
  3. I am a great admirer of McCall Smith. I've only read about 6 of the No 1 Ladies but his various Scottish series are compulsory acquisitions for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, like I said in the post, it's beyond me how he manages to keep producing so many books!! :o

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...