Sunday 10 December 2023

If Not One Thing, It's Another

 

Illustration by AI
 
As some of you may recall, back in mid November I went to see my optician for an eye exam, just thinking that I had noticed a change in optical refraction in one eye. But she detected a cataract, and referred me to an eye doctor. As cataract had so far never entered my mind, I spent the next couple of weeks trying to get used to that idea.

Luckily I did not have to wait very long, as I was referred to a small private eye clinic in our city centre. (They don't do operations but they help with eye exams and certain other treatments, in cooperation with our regional health care system.) I got an appointment there on 1st December. At the end of that, I was again in for a surprise, as the doc's conclusion was that well, yes, you do have a cataract - but the main problem is probably that you also have Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD)... (It has another name in Swedish; but both were equally unfamiliar to me.)

... Er, what??... 

... The good news is it's the 'dry' variety (rather than the so-called 'wet' one); the bad news is there's no cure or treatment ...  

 ... Er, what??...

Brief explanation followed - not easy to take in all at once. But it seemed the 'dry' equals slow change (but no cure) whereas the 'wet' is more serious and faster developing (but may be slowed down by treatment).  I was also given a brochure with more info. (And after reading that, I have of course also googled for more.) 

As for the cataract (which I understood to not be very far gone), as that did not seem to be the problem (yet), we agreed to wait and see how things develop. The doc said to contact him again for another checkup in a year or so (which I take to confirm that he does not expect any fast changes). 

Hey ho... It's still a lot to get my head round all at once, when not having suspected any of it myself beforehand. From what I've gathered so far, the AMD diagnosis does seem to make "sense" though (more than the cataract), related to the changes in vision that I'd been noticing in my left eye lately. I also do think it's probably been developing slowly, even if it was only recently that it started bothering me. What happened was that not too long ago I noticed that when looking at the TVscreen with just my left eye, the subtexts on the screen appeared wavy rather than straight, and some letters difficult to see. Watching with both eyes, the right eye "takes over" though, and then I see no distortion. But it's probably still a strain making both eyes tired more quickly.  

For now, the new diagnosis does not really change anything - but it has me in the process of "reinterpreting" symptoms that I've been ascribing to other causes...

12 comments:

  1. As I have always had to look after my eyes and been a very regular visitor at the doctor‘s for them since the age of 7, I am relatively familiar with most of the common diseases. It is indeed ‚good‘ news that your AMD is the dry variant. O.K.‘s Dad has the wet variant, and it is not pleasant… he‘s 84, though, and has not had much to worry about his eyes (or his health in general), and so I guess he can still consider himself more fortunate than many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I had heard of macular degeneraton, but being told I had it, I realised I my concept of what that entails was very vague... I've needed glasses since I was around 10, but checkups by an optician every few years has been enough so far. My only previous visits to an eye doctor were in connection with posterior vitreous detachment, over a decade ago. (First one eye, then the other a couple of years later.)

      Delete
  2. you look so cute in your AI you.... wish you could create one without the eye problems. I am glad it is the dry not the wet. you are so right, if not one thing it is always the other and other and other...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. It's still a balance between taking the positive view for now, and trying to prepare oneself for "whatever" ...

      Delete
  3. Our eyesight is so precious it is quite a daunting prospect to think we could lose it. I have had eye surgery a couple of times now and have extensive corneal scarring. My eyesight is beginning to deteriorate a little now and I don't think that I want to have any more treatments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, as so often there are probably a lot of aspects to weigh against one another and with certain treatments not always easy to decide if, what and when...

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that you have problems. It's so worrying when it affects our eyesight, so I hope that it will be a very gradual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the doctors don't want too long with your cataract but it's good you didn't have to wait too long, here the waiting lists are really long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, for now I'm just thankful I did not have to wait long for the extended eye exam and a (hopefully) more correct diagnosis of the current problems.

      Delete
  6. Goodness, I hope your eyes will keep working well for you even with the AMD in one eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. "One day at a time", for now...

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...