Monday 11 December 2023

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing...

 

For the 2nd Advent weekend, I brought up my Angels from the basement storage room. The glass angels + matching Christmas tree go under the electric candlestick in my living room:

The rest of them are forming a mixed choir on the window sill in my study.

I've probably mentioned it before, but all the angels are gifts I've received from various friends over the years. The one I've had the longest is the porcelain angel to the left; a gift from cousins of my grandmother when I was quite little, so she's been with me as long as I can remember.

My nativity set is also up now, on its usual shelf in my study.
They're a bit of a "motley crew" as well. ;-)
 

♫ Hark! the herald angels sing,
"Glory to the newborn King:
peace on earth, and mercy mild,
God and sinners reconciled!"
Joyful, all ye nations, rise,
join the triumph of the skies;
with th'angelic hosts proclaim,
"Christ is born in Bethlehem!"♫

(Charles Wesley/George Whitefield)

 

9 comments:

  1. I laughed at the term Motley Crue but I can tell you that I know you're not going to carry because that is what it is and that is what they were several thousand years ago. Your glass angels are beautiful and you know how much I love glass. Your angels are ready to sing with your beautiful lights

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your glass angels are beautiful works of art and spirit, and your nativity scene is pretty too. Motley Crew, ha ha, that is likely who gathered to greet Jesus at his birth, and maybe it describes us too as we gather in churches. Merry Christmas dear friend, a card is on its way to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, one is travelling in the other direction too.

      Delete
  3. My favourite of these is the oldest angel, the one you received when you were little. It has that sweet innocent look of childhood about it, of the undiluted joy and happiness I felt (and to an extent still do) at Christmas time when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, if I had to "downsize", she's still the one I'd keep... ;-)

      Delete
  4. The glass angels are beautiful and very special, but then all your angels are lovely. The candlestick above the glass ones is almost identical to the one I have - mine has little holly wreaths around the base of each candle. In the interests of economy, I only light mine when I sit down in the evenings - after it's dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I have little plastic wreaths that I can put on mine too, but this year I chose to leave that one bare. I have two on timer from late afternoon (close to sunset) until bedtime, the other two I switch on/off manually. If I get up while it's still dark in the morning, I may also turn one or two on for a bit then.

      Delete
  5. I love your angels, they are so pretty, you have some nice decorations there.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...