Wednesday 6 December 2023

Reflections on Dust


 

Illustration by Bing AI

I think it was on Saturday that I walked the vacuum cleaner around the flat, and at the end of our tour checked the bag inside it to see if that needed changing - and found that well, it might have been ok if the dust had been inside the bag (as it should be), but for unknown reason most of the dust this time was on the outside of and around the bag, in the compartment where that resides... Somehow the bag must have slipped out of its right position, so that the end of the hose inside had not connected with it. It's still a mystery to me how that came about. As far as I can recall, it's never happened before. Anyway, the result made me wish that I had had access to a second vacuum cleaner, to be able clean the first one... But I only have the one; which led to a rather complicated and time consuming process of cleaning the inside of the vacuum cleaner with the help of a small dustpan and brush + damp cloths and kitchen paper etc... 

Dust Quotes - BrainyQuote

When finally I had completed that tiresome process, it suddenly struck me that hmmm, doesn't this VC also have some kind of filter at the back, which I haven't checked for ages... I managed to find the manual in the drawer where I keep such instructions; and oops, yes, it said that filter should be cleaned every six months and changed every two years or so... I can't tell you how long ago it was since I last did that, as I haven't got a clue... But it was definitely long overdue! (All I can say in my defence is that I'd not been consciously neglecting it - I'd just completely forgotten its existence...) It also proved seriously hard to open the filter grille behind which the filter lives. I managed that eventually, though - and had to admit that by now, the Thing looked definitely more "dead" than "alive"... 

Would I even be able to find a replacement? I searched the manual again and found an article number. On Monday afternoon I put that into Google - and bingo! It seemed they actually had it in stock in a certain tech shop in the city centre. (A favourite of mine since it's within walking distance.) So I was able to reserve the filter online, and go and pick it up there the next morning. 

New filter in place at the back, and new dust bag in front, I took the vacuum cleaner for another walk around the flat in the afternoon. Checked afterwards, and this time the dust seemed to have gone where it should... (I'll probably be a bit obsessive about checking that after every use for a while! Whether in six months I'll remember to check and clean the filter at the back is a different story, though.)

Top 10 Dust Quotes - BrainyQuote 


On my way home from town this time I walked along/across the South Square, which is lined with old wooden buildings on three sides (the river on the fourth). Part of the square serves as transfer point for some of the local bus lines. (No longer mine, though - alas.)



My reflection in one of the windows on the ground floor of the building above; and buildings across the square also reflected in the background...
 

11 comments:

  1. It would be easy for me to forget to change or wash a filter, that is good you were able to easily buy a new one for your machine. The blue and yellow building is attractive, do you know what it is used for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, the building in the first two photos is used mainly by a cultural organization for various events and studycircles and whatnot. The colours in these photos came out a bit blue-ish, the bottom part of both buildings is more grey really.

      Delete
  2. Just put a note in your diary in six months' time :-) I do that with similar things, too, otherwise I am 100 % certain to forget about them completely.
    My vacuum cleaner has no bags but a see-through plastic compartment where you can see how much dust has accumulated. Then all you do is take the "hoovering" bit off and empty the dust compartment over the waste bin. Easy-peasy! And if necessary, the compartment can be cleaned, of course. The filter needs to be rinsed in hot water every now and then; I usually do it at the turn of the month, which is often my interval for similar small, regular tasks, because I find it easy to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: The wooden building is so beautiful!

      Delete
    2. Meike, I usually have my routines for various things like that too -- but obviously at some point this one just slipped into oblivion. (I've now taped a note onto the vacuum cleaner itself with the date when I put in the new filter + its article number.)

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos - you look well wrapped up for a chilly day.
    You've reminded me that I haven't checked the bag in my "Henry" vacuum for ages. I rarely use it, as I don't like pulling it behind me, but my cleaner uses it each week, and it's my job to check the bag and replace it. I prefer my Bosch Animal vacuum cleaner, which sounds similar to Meike's. My daily problem is dog hair and it's easy, and simple, to empty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I had to look up the "Henry" as I'd never heard of it - and bagless ones of the kind with hose is something I did not know existed either. Mine looks kind of similar to the one in the AI illustration (but with smaller wheels).

      Delete
  4. Ah, I suppose I should check my vacuum cleaner but as I don't use it very often it may still be OK. (Just joking)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, I guess that's what my subconscious has been telling itself, too... ;-)

      Delete
  5. my favorite is the reflection at the end, I don't remember seeing these buildings before. each vac we have bought over the years in this house has been different, no keeping up with it and the days of buying a vac that lived for 30 or 40 years are certainly gone. glad you were able to get it open, get the part and fix that VC...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I don't think I've had more than three vacuums during my adult life, this one included. (Except that for a while I also had a handheld one with a battery; but that was only as "extra".)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...