Saturday 16 December 2023

Slippery Slopes, and Releasing the Gnomes

 

This week, outdoor temperatures have been varying between thawing and freezing - resulting in several treacherous spots like this one. Besides wearing studded boots, I also bring at least one of my trekking poles when going out... There have also been days when I've preferred to just stay in, though!

Wednesday was laundry day, which this time of year means indoor-day, as it's already dark outside by the time I'm finished in the afternoon. Outdoors I think it was thawing.

On Thursday the temperature kept firmly below freezing point. My studded boots are very good on ice, though, if I tread carefully. So as planned, I went out to post my Swedish Christmas cards, and to buy some fruit & vegs in one of the small neighbourhood convenience shops. Went back home with my purchases, and then went out on another round with some things for the recycling bins, and after that I also decided to prolong my walk with a turn around the old cemetery. To get there, I have to pass that slippery slope on the photo above. I stopped for a moment to consider my "strategy", and shift my trekking pole from one hand to the other (to be able to also hold on to the railing when I reached that). Just then, a young man wearing rain boots came sliding by, passing me in a hurry - and was very close to slipping and falling... He managed to regain his balance, though - and then to my astonishment  stopped, turned round and asked if I needed help! I said thanks, but I'll be all right with my walking stick... and he was gone with the wind, slip sliding away along the pavement... It "made my day" though, that he actually thought to stop and ask! But considering his footwear, I think I was really safer just trusting my own equipment... ;-)  I managed a walk around the cemetery as planned, without incidents. (On my way back, at the very same spot, I met yet another young man, more running than walking, and in similar unsuitable footwear, slipping and "almost" falling as well, though...) 

Yesterday the weather had switched to thaw, fog and light rain outside, and I did not set foot outside until just taking out some household waste to the bins at the corner of my building in the afternoon. (By then, nearly all the ice/slush on the street had melted away.)

Instead I devoted a couple of hours to baking gingerbread cookies (dough prepapred the previous day). Only a small batch, but it's worth it even just for the smell filling the flat on the day I bake them...


Later on, I unpacked my box of various Christmas 'gnomes' and Santa figurines that I got up from the storage room the other day. Most of them have more or less permanent spots around my flat - like this 'Santa family' knitted by my mother (and inherited by me). They have chosen a picture shelf on the wall behind my sofa for their Christmas celebrations (pushing a painting slightly to one side).


Another gnome has moved up one floor in a bookshelf next to my TV this year, to keep an eye on a very fancy pop-up Christmas card recently arrived from a penpal in England.


On the shelf below, two 'newcomers' are helping me out this year with the red wooden Christmas tree (of German design), and some last minute Christmas cards. (Barbie and Skipper, showing off some more 1960s clothes made by my mum.)

If they do a good job with that, they may also get to help me with the other tree in a few days - I've not quite decided yet... ;-)  (My 50 cm high tree with lights and various other decorations is traditionally the very last item to be put up, among my decorations.)


12 comments:

  1. That icy pavement looks quite dangerous to me! I think I would definitely prefer to stay warm inside your cosy-looking flat and enjoy the decorations and aroma of gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, the weather has now turned and all the snow and ice is gone. Alas going out in the rain does not seem very tempting either...

      Delete
  2. that tree is just about the size of mine in the nook, teen bit taller. that ice is scary even in the photo. so glad to hear the young man offered, it always makes he happy to hear there are kind people left on this crazy earth... you are very brave to do it even with your shoes and the stick. the gnomes have been released, the dolls are under their tree, waiting to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I was really surprised that he stopped to ask if I needed help, especially since he seemed to be in a hurry himself!

      Delete
  3. You did well, coming equipped and taking your time to manoeuvre that slippery bit. Like you, I feel safer on my own in such spots, instead of linking arms or holding hands with another person - if one goes down, they usually take the other one with them!
    Barbie and Skipper look great as always, they really are a wonderful addition to your flat. Lovely to see the knitted Santa family again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, that spot is always a tricky one in winter, and I'm well aware of it. I do find my studded winter boots + trekking poles helpful on icy streets, though.

      Delete
  4. That icy pavement looks very dangerous to me, but I smiled at the thought of the two young men with all the confidence of youth. We learn more caution with advancing years.
    Your decorations are so festive, and seeing them, I feel it's time that I hunted out some of my decorations too. Those gingerbread cookies look so tempting - will you decorate them?
    Barbie and Skipper are both looking very smart, they have such an extensive wardrobe, I'm quite envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I will not be decorating my gingerbread cookies. For one thing, I try not to eat too much sugar - so I even replaced the white sugar in these cookies with another kind of sweetener. (The recipe also includes brown sugar and syrup, though.)

      Delete
  5. oh no, be careful outside on that ice. I'm the sort of person that would fall over every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, for now we're back to rain again - which is not tempting me to be out and about much either!

      Delete
  6. That icy patch in your top picture could change somebody's life forever. I am glad that it didn't get you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, so am I! The winter boots I was wearing have metal studs under the whole sole, though, and do give me quite a good grip on icy streets. And unlike the young men, it wouldn't occur to me to try to run! ;)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...