Monday, February 25, 2013

Mosaic Monday: Semla

2013-02-19 semla

A semla (also known by a few other names in Swedish)is a sweet roll associated (in this part of the world) with Lent and especially Shrove Tuesday /Fat Tuesday. The original version of the semla was a plain bun, eaten in a bowl of warm milk. Nowadays, it’s a cardamom-spiced wheat bun which has its top cut off and insides scooped out, and is then filled with a mix of the scooped-out bread, milk and almond paste, topped with whipped cream. The cut-off top serves as a lid and is dusted with powdered sugar. Today it is often eaten on its own, with coffee or tea. And some caf├ęs sell them all year round, not just this time of year.

In my childhood (in my family) we ate them every Tuesday during Lent and served with hot milk. I still only eat them this time of year – but not with milk, and not every week either. I did buy one last week though, to cheer myself up on an icy gray dismal day!

Mosaic Monday

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks delicious and beautiful!!! Looks almost like a cream puff. Here, we have Hot Cross Buns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that can cheer me up just looking at it, can't imagine how i would feel after eating one.. yuuuummmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Goodness that looks so tasty and how I miss those tasty Semlor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember these from the past (after all one can't remember things from the future) and I could just eat one at this moment with my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look nice, just not quite chocolaty enough for me to become my favourite :-)
    Semla used to mean just a plain bun, you say. Sounds very much like the German Semmel which means the same - a plain bun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh you've got me with this tempting looking delicacy....looks yummy.
    Like Ginny, we have hot cross buns here.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but spam comments will be deleted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...