Monday 25 July 2022

Karlstad - Alsters Herrgård

Sunday, 10 July 

After two days "on the road", Sunday seemed a good day to just stay in Karlstad. We drove out to an old manor house just outside town to have lunch, though: Alsters Herrgård. 


A famous Swedish poet was born here in 1860:

 Gustaf Fröding


Fröding often wrote in his own regional dialect (värmländska / Wermlandian). Many of his poems have been set to music and recorded by well-known Swedish singers. 

Since 1976 the manor where he was born has been kept as a kind of museum in memory of him. I remember visiting while I lived in Karlstad (1975-85), but back then I think there was only a small café. Now they also offer lunch - at least during the summer tourist season - and in the side buildings (wings) there are little shops selling arts and crafts and other souvenirs.




 

Out in the park there are some playful sculptures.

 
(The "wool" on these sheep was made of ropes.)

12 comments:

  1. First, great looking gardens...I love flowers. Second, what is that strange little roof on the red building at one end, up above the bigger structure (if you know?) And third, wonderful looking food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I'm pretty sure there used to be a bell there, used to announce the beginning and end of the workday, and breaks for meals etc. These were common on farms before it became usual for people to have a watch of one's own. In Swedish it's called 'vällingklocka' which literally means 'gruel bell'. It was usually placed like that on the roof of a house or barn. (There is a Wikipedia article but only in Swedish.)

      Delete
  2. I would love to have lunch there, the steel wool is a wow! and the window with plants is almost a pretty as yours. the roofers are LOUDLY removing shingles and have been for 2 hours. the pool repair guy is putting a new motor in the pump. that is my wow for today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, it was a perfect place to have Sunday lunch.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! You and the big squirrel is priceless!! And the flowers! They look like either Gladiola, Foxglove, or Hollyhocks. They are gorgeous. And I love the rope sheep, they are so cool!! What a wonderful post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I'm not sure about the names of the flowers, but I agree they were gorgeous - and everything looked very neat and idyllic.

      Delete
  4. A very picturesque place with the hollyhocks (Malven in German) and the white painted window frames etc. against the red walls. You look like it was a really good time there all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, it was a nice place for a Sunday lunch, and I'm glad I thought of it. I don't think my brother had been out there in quite a while either.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos, what a good place to visit, and interesting to see some interior shots of the house - I noticed the traditional tile stove in the living room.
    Those sheep are so funny, but what a good idea to use rope for their fleece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CG, yes, they have basically kept the old style indoors as well. We didn't go upstairs, it was roped off - I think they only give guided tours there.

      Delete
  6. I both enjoy and admire the sculptures. They really have caught on. I've seen someone sculpting them with a chainsaw. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, carving a big sculpture must require a steady hand for sure!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...