Saturday 14 July 2012

Ringlet Butterfly

CIMG9308

I caught sight of a small butterfly today that I did not know. It sat down and spread its wings quite some distance away from me in the high grass beside the path where I was walking. I was afraid to scare it away, so first I tried to zoom it in from where I was... And then I gradually tried to get closer to it step by step.

CIMG9310

CIMG9321

CIMG9318

Quite pleased with the result, I have to say.
Finally I even got close enough for a sharper macro:

CIMG9329-002

When I got home, I also managed to identify it:
It’s a Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus).
(Luktgräsfjäril in Swedish.) It’s quite small, I’d say no more than 4 cm or so.

Apparently this is a female because the male does not have those spots on top of the wings but are plain brown. She looks a bit worn, poor thing… I learn from the English website that it has a short lifespan, no more than a couple of months in the summer.

Linking to Straight Out of the Camera Sunday

6 comments:

  1. Superb shot Monica. Once you've started on insects it becomes compulsive as,. I think, you are discovering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful for it to sit and wait for you to get those great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! I tried to capture (on camera, mind you) a very prettily patterned moth the other day, but failed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have got this one. I have seen a few ringlets this year. It is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to 'sneak' up on a dragonfly recently and was just as shocked that it stayed put for me to get really close....these are so soft and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, my world has changed since I got my first digital camera (six years ago): I'm taking much more notice of the small things around me - and creatures! Trying to catch butterflies with a net never appealed to me... and if it's still hard to get them to pose for a photo, just imagine what it would be like to run after them hoping to make them sit for a portrait in watercolour!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...