Wednesday 12 January 2011

Whimsical Wednesday

DSCN1317-1

Do the hard jobs first.
The easy jobs will take care of themselves.
 
~ Dale Carnegie ~

This quote turned up in my sidebar Quotes gadget today. Spooky, since I had “sort of” made that principle one of my inner, non-official New Year’s resolutions. It lasted about two days…

To start with, the first week I intentionally gave myself a vacation from the Resolution, allowing myself to focus almost entirely on one “job” – getting this blog moved and re-started and running! Actually that proved to be quite hard work; but it was not really that sort of hard job that I had in mind when I thought about doing “the hard jobs first”.

So I did not really start practicing the Resolution until Monday this week. I followed it for two days. Then this morning I woke up with a headache. Surely the principle of doing the hard jobs first does not apply to days that start with a dizzy spell??

That’s one reason why I don’t make New Year Resolutions. There are too many days in the year that just start out wrong...!

Seriously though… It has become a bit of a temptation lately to start the morning by checking emails and blogs, and get caught up in that for longer than I had intended. So the Resolution has to do with trying to devote the mornings before lunch to other things, and not allow myself to dive into the Blogworld until later.

But hey – no rule without exceptions…!

  • If every rule has an exception, then there must be an exception to the rule that every rule has an exception.
  • If everything is possible, then it is possible for anything to be impossible.
  • The only rule is that there are no rules.
  • The only thing certain is that nothing is certain.
  • If everything has an opposite, then the opposite of there being an opposite to everything, is that there is not an opposite to everything.
  • If everything should be taken in moderation, then moderation should itself be taken moderately, meaning that not everything would be taken in moderation.

Source: Wikipedia – Exception Paradox

PS. If you’re wondering about the picture… I’m including it just as an example that not everything has to be “perfect” to be useful!

4 comments:

  1. darn, i just typed 2 paragrahps and it all disapeared. trying to remember what i said. phooey.
    i am sharing this post with hubby since i just said to him, i am supposed to be doing a Just do it hard thing BEFORE i touch blog/email. i had been on the computer from 7 to 10 and put the laptop down and did mopping and hard stuff for one hour and now am back. i had decided to do one "just do it" thing each day before i do email/blog. did fine for a few days, slipped right back into the old me. i relate to everything you said here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your exception list! I'm actually going to record it for the church. Yes, it's good to get the hard stuff out of the way, or else we'll be too tired to do it! Much harder than it sounds. For one thing, I'm tired from the time I get up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you reminded us to find the new blog. You should probably do that for the first three months or so.

    The Exceptions are interesting but they give me a headache!

    ReplyDelete
  4. California Girl, glad to see you here :) Yes, I think I will be updating the reminder-post/link in the old blogs every now and then over the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...