Tuesday 17 January 2012

A for Azalea / ABC Wednesday

azalea CIMG6759-1

Monday last week – 9 January – I passed by this optimistic plant, which seemed to be expecting the arrival of spring any day now. I’m afraid it might have been rather disappointed by the snowfall later the same night; even if the snow did not stay very long.

If memory serves me right, it is an Azalea. * I can only hope it will survive the very confusing winter to show its true colour at the appropriate time – which should be in four or five months! (The photo below is from early June, 2010.)

Azalea DSCN6344-1

---

ABC Wednesday is starting over this week with Round 10.

image

---

* PS. Just learned that English Wikipedia will be on black-out for 24 hours, worldwide, beginning at 05:00 UTC on Wednesday, January 18, in protest against proposed legislation in the United States.

In blogging, I probably use Wikipedia several times daily! Often I use it sort of like a dictionary, going from a Swedish article to the corresponding one in English, or the other way round. I find it very helpful, and wouldn’t like to be without it. I’m sure even the 24 h will be enough for a lot of people to miss it.

13 comments:

  1. I think plants all over the world are confused by our weather. We have things blooming too early also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. our plants are confused too. our oaks think it is spring and are putting out there brown squiggly things they make our allergies act crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see those beauties again!

    Artists at our home is one of my entries, come and see. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O.K., I now want to delete all my azalea pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful name of flower. i hope it survive the winter

    so, the wikipedia is also in protest. Thanks for the info

    Visiting from ABC Wednesday and RT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand the protest. The problem with the proposed US legislation seems to me to be that it can be used to target those people who simply annoy the US government whilst the people it is really aimed at (ie Wikileaks which is nothing to do with Wikipedia) will be unaffected because it is hosted in Sweden (which has stronger freedom guarantees in its constitution than most other countries) and other countries where the US cannot get at it (however much it tries). Sledgehammers and nuts come to mind.

    PS This is not to imply that I support Wikileaks.

    PPS McCarthism is not that long ago! Lest we forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love azaleas!
    24 hours without Wikipedia - will I survive?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the blackout will affect a number of sites.
    Nice flowers, BTW.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh! Another 5 months 'til your spring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not to confuse you, but the azalea by my front door blooms in January:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a confusing winter here as well. From Tuesday to Wednesday, we had a 50 degree drop in temperature! I hope your azaleas make it too. They are such lovely plants. Great macro shot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love azaleas. I have a hardy one in my garden but it shows no sign of wanting to bud yet. Too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. your flowers made me miss my azaleas too. i have them but mine are pink :) My "A" for ABC Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...