Saturday 14 January 2012

What-A-Week-Ramble

What a week it’s been. Weather-wise Monday started out with almost spring-like weather, followed by snowfall in the evening. On Tuesday everything was covered in the white stuff; but the sky all grey (while forecasts had predicted sun). On Wednesday, not a trace of snow left, and the sun shining from a blue sky (while forecasts had predicted rain). Thursday back to heavy rain and storm! Friday sunny again, but still windy and very chilly.

2012-01-09--11

My brother drove down on Monday and arrived before the worst snowfall set in. He and the dog stayed at The House outside town, but he stopped by here for a cup of tea since he had to go into town to pick up some things anyway.

Tuesday morning he came in again to fetch me, and we both spent the day at The House. The chairWorkman from the local history society also came over (as planned), to have a look at our inherited “archives”… 

What?! I wrote “chair(wo)man”, and the “wo” turned into a little briefcase! That’s almost as distracting as walking through a doorway!!!  …

… and she ended up relieving us of several carrier bags (not briefcases) full of old notes and photos from our granddad (who was a journalist with special interest in local history). The local history society will have a look at these and then pass them on to the Town Archive to be kept there for the future.

It’s still really just a drop in the lake… But it’s a start!

CIMG6843-1

Wednesday was Per’s birthday, so I took him out to lunch at a restaurant in town. Later, back at the House, we went for a sunny walk down to the beach…

CIMG6821

… er, what beach?! The water is so high this winter that there is almost no beach left to walk along! Compare the view in summer:

DSC_0043

Thursday Per went back home. Outside it rained and it rained and it rained… Well, for my part I had indoors things to do anyway – like taking down Christmas decorations. My window lights may remain up for another week or so though: Gradual withdrawal treatment!  … (Besides, I might need an extra week to make sure I’ve found all the gnomes…)

CIMG6272

 

6 comments:

  1. enjoyed your rambles today, you have a handsome brother and glad you have a few things gone and not there to deal with. that is a drastic difference in the beach photos. hope the rain has stopped today. ha ha on the gnomes hiding in plain sight. can't tell you how many times in the past when i would put my santa collection all over the house and find one months later

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little cabin and Gnomes are so cute. I always love it when you just talk about your day and what's been going on. Those two beach pictures, the one doesn't even look like a beach! Gosh, you can put tiny pictures in with your words now, I don't know how to do anything like that, it is whimsical and fun! I'm so glad you had a nice visit with your brother. The house is still so much work to do, I can see that, but seems to be a connecting point for both of you, and that's not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you got a little snow. I like the first image in the mosaic.
    I've had those funny icons appear I suspect I must have caught the function key whilst typing a letter. I'll have a play around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are making progress with your grandfather's papers. I daresay the history society are very appreciative of your generosity. Lovely mosaic depicting your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your weather sounds as variable as ours is although the lowest day-time temperature this week was 15 and the highest was 31!

    A lake with a proper beach - wonderful.

    I hope you managed to round up all the gnomes successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah. That's me up to date then.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...