Thursday 26 January 2012

A Good Story Deserves Good Writing (BTT)

Time for another bookish question from Deb at Booking Through Thursday :

What’s more important: Good writing? Or a good story?
(Of course, a book should have BOTH, but…)

Yes, too right a book should have BOTH! As all regular readers of this blog know, I’m not a fan of choices like this… It’s almost like having to choose between flour or fluid when baking!

I think I’d have to say good writing, though. Good writing can lift a feeble story; and a good story can be ruined by bad writing.

PS. Here’s a link to my recent review of a book that had BOTH:
Kate Morton – The Forgotten Garden

11 comments:

  1. Bad language can certainly ruin a good story, but even great language cannot salvage a bad story. For me anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with mostraum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really need both.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they always do ask the difficult questions, everything is not so black and white there are gray areas in between, that's where i like my books with a little bit of both.
    Here's my BTT.

    Happy Reading!
    Cathy @Addicted to Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good writing is essential, otherwise I won't make it through the book no matter how exciting the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think I'm going to agree with you completely. Even with a bad story, if the writing sparkles, there can be very poetic passages, and beauty in some of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I think there are probably lots of books from which I would say I sort of remember the style of writing rather than the story/plot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard choices this week, but yes, I also end up choosing good writing.

    P.S. You got lovely colorful teapots. I like them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I compared it to losing an arm or a leg.

    http://nerdbliss.com/wordpress/2012/01/26/rivet-me/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Thanks for the visit to my blog!

    You're right. Of course a lacklustre plot is always a let-down but repulsive language and sloppy writing I just cannot take.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...