Wednesday 9 August 2017

Up On the Mountain

The town of Gränna is situated between the shore of Lake Vättern, and a steep mountain (berg) raising up to the east.

DSC01086

The sloping square where we parked the car; looking in the direction of the lake.

Turn around, and there’s the mountain.

DSC01110

Somewhere up there, I knew there would be tea and sandwiches waiting for us (i.e. a  café), but how to get up there? Well, as I definitely did not feel like trying the steep wooden staircase that Per spotted, we had to get back in the car, consult our Google map guide, and go for a little detour by car… It was worth it!

DSC01102-001

Gränna church tower with the mountain in the background.

DSC01125

View from up on the mountain. Church tower on the right.

DSC01115-001

DSC01117

The café is situated in an open air museum park with old buildings.


DSC01119

DSC01124

DSC01123-001

DSC01118

DSC01127

DSC01121

DSC01120-001

Detached small but robust buildings like these were used for storage of food etc.

DSC01128

DSC01116-001

Not a church belltower, but an old town hall belltower.

DSC01130-001

Another kind of bells…

DSC01112-001


Linking to:

Outdoor Wednesday


10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place! Of course, you know I would have chosen the wooden stairs to get up on the berg - especially knowing there would be sandwiches at the top as a reward :-)
    The storage buildings look very sturdy indeed with their grassy roofs. It must have been for insulation, I guess.
    When I saw the standalone belltower, at first I thought it was a pigeon house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I would no more have climbed those stairs that evening than I'd have jumped into the basket of an air balloon... ;)

      Delete
  2. love all those log buildings and especially the one with grass on the roof. I love rustic and these fit the bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fascinating post! A beautiful place, with lovely views, and such interesting history. I loved the sturdy little buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Town Hall Belltower! I have not heard of this. But I guess it was the only way they had of warning the townspeople of various situations. I love this, and it is the first time I have ever seen one. The buildings are totally charming! Goodness, grass is actually growing on those roofs! So did you drive kind of twisting around the mountain? The bluebells are gorgeous. I have no favorites today, they are all so pretty and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen a Town Hall Belltower before either, Ginny. The driveway went up the side of the hill, not as steep as that rock wall facing the lake.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. The poor guy couldn't see Sweden for quite a while. How he must have counted the days, nights, months, years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our age of instant communication it's hard to imagine, isn't it.

      Delete
  6. Truly a fascinating place. I love the quaint scenes and the bit of history, too!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...