Wednesday 9 March 2011

ABC Wednesday - H for Headology

2011-02-19 textile museum15

Mannequin heads at the Textile Museum

… … …

“I believe the ability to think is blessed.
If you can think  about a situation, you can deal with it.
The big struggle is to keep your head clear enough to think.”
~ Richard Pryor ~

… … …

“Headology” is a word used in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels.
It is similar to psychology, but sort of more… practical….

“The power of Headology is not to be underestimated. Clearly, the way a person sees himself and the surrounding world forms the person's reality. If this view is changed effectively through the use of Headology then this person's reality changes. This allows witches to make people think they are frogs, for example. Witches generally think that Headology is a more powerful style of magic than any of the fancy stuff wizards use. Headology is what witching is all about. A witch needs a very powerful, focused, and trained mind to use Headology. Granny Weatherwax is the foremost practitioner of Headology on Discworld.”

Discworld & Pratchett Wiki http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Headology

11 comments:

  1. well i can't believe Richard Pryor came up with so true a saying. very astute quote. and I do believe what is in our head controls our lives. i know mine does, i know some of the fears/phobias i suffer with are all in my head and not true, but getting past them is a real job. my mind might tell me something but what lives in my head will not let me pay attention to my mind or heart. lots of deep thinking going on from reading your post. some people can make themselves sick because they believe they are when they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thus the phrase "getting inside somebody's head". Relatives seem to be able to do that sometimes.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post for the H Day! Really interesting quote from Richard Pryor! It seems sometimes that there is always someone trying to "get inside your head". Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

    Sylvia
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Headology a bit frightening. It looks a bit like hypnotism. Another thing is that if you are always being criticized, it destroys your feeling of selfrespect. So it is very important how your surroundings are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if the term "head case" is somehow derived from this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't want somebody get into my head hehehe..
    Come and see my letter H, have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple of these mannequins look a bit creepy and sinister!! And what is that thing on the one's head? It looks a bit like a hand wipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh... my mom wears wigs and has for years. As her collection grows.. everyday, special occasion, Sunday.. etc... so has her collection of head forms. She (or my dad) has even painted faces on some.. eyes and lips. I have a picture of them sitting together on the wooden "head holder" (what I call it) and it always makes me think of the backup singers in a girls group... like the Supremes. I should have thought of that photo for "H"... hair or head.. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a different word! headology.. intrigued I am, Dawn Treader! loved it..! an actor's best hair holder I guess :D

    Vinay @ I Rhyme Without Reason

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know who Richard Pryor is but I think his quote is spot on.

    Just love the smile and expression on the head on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Granny Weatherwax.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...