Tuesday 29 March 2011

ABC Wednesday – K for Kaleidoscope

DSCN2630

A kaleidoscope is a circle of mirrors containing loose, colored objects such as beads or pebbles and bits of glass. As the viewer looks into one end, light entering the other end creates a colorful pattern, due to the reflection off the mirrors. Coined in 1817 by Scottish inventor Sir David Brewster the word "kaleidoscope" is derived from the Ancient Greek καλ(ός) (beauty, beautiful), είδο(ς) (form, shape) and -σκόπιο (tool for examination)—hence "observer of beautiful forms." [Wikipedia]

RSCN2549-a

Exactly how the digital photo kaleidoscope works, I have no idea. But it’s a lot of fun to use, and easier than you might think. (Basically, just click a button and see what happens.)

DSCN7886k1

The software used for these is Corel Paint Shop Pro X, where you’ll find the Kaleidoscope under Effects / Reflection Effects.

Have a guess, if you like, what kinds of photos may be the origin of the four kaleidoscopes in this post. Scroll down for the answer.

DSCN9431a

The answer is:

Winter – Spring – Summer - Autumn

Here are the original pictures:

Four Seasons

For more of the letter ‘K’, visit ABC Wednesday.

… … …

You might also be interested in checking out
the K-post at my blog Through My Spectrespecs.

14 comments:

  1. these are incredible. beautiful to look at. would never have guessed, my favorite is the last one. what PHUN

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how I LOVE these. Not only are they beautiful, but the guessing is fun!! The first one was the hardest, but I guessed the others!! My favorite is the last, it almost looks like one of those Indian prayer things that people hang on the wall, I can't remember the name of them, they are usually made of yarn and have a round wood frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are incredibly beautiful! What a fun, lovely post for the K Day! I think the last two are my favorite, but they're all delightful! Hope your week is going well!

    Sylvia
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. what an amazing transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love kaleidoscopes. I find them mesmerizing and your pictures here are just fantastic. Thank you.
    Meryl
    http://departingthetext.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Kool.
    like a mirror in a mirror...

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love those when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like a lot this idea, Spring with beautiful flowers, sweet energy and your pictures are fabulous!
    Léia - Bonjour Luxembourg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaleidoscope is a great word for K! You have created beautiful images. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool is that? Digital kaleidoscopes! I never knew...these are beautiful. Now you need to visit the kaleidoscope website on my post and get yourself a small scope! They are quite magical.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful take on K!

    Want some more K? Come and have some Kisses from my webpage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice entry,...
    it's nice to be here in your blog too
    This is my first time to join ABC Wednesday
    have a great day and happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are very creative, my favorite one is the purple one. They are all beautiful, I loved playing with a Kaleidoscope when I was a youngster, and I still like playing around with them.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...