Wednesday 2 March 2011

ABC Wednesday–G for Glass

2011-02-19 textile museum14

Glass from 1960’s/70’s Swedish Design exhibition at the Textile Museum. I refer you to an older post at my other blog (DawnTreader’s Picture Book) to see more of the green glass. To see more posts from the Textile Museum on this blog, click on that label below.

Three of Sweden’s most famous glassworks are nowadays merged into one company, Orrefors Kosta Boda. Back in the 70’s I visited at least the latter two; where the objects in this exhibition were also probably made.

image
Glassblower at Kosta Glassworks (photo from Swedish Wikipedia article)

“The process of free-blowing involves the blowing of short puffs of air into a molten portion of glass which is gathered at one end of the blowpipe. This has the effect of forming an elastic skin on the interior of the glass blob that matches the exterior caused by the removal of heat from the furnace. The glassworker can then quickly inflate the molten glass to a coherent blob and work it into a desired shape. --- Skilled workers are capable of shaping almost any vessel forms by rotating the pipe, swinging it and controlling the temperature of the piece while they blow. They can produce a great variety of glass objects, ranging from drinking cups to window glass.” (Wikipedia)

 

 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful colored Glass!! Like the process of glassblowing and the wonderful shapes they create!! Nice traditional art!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to go to CORNING GLASS WORKS in upstate NY, USA as a kid. It was SO cool!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fabulous. In the USA, many of our hand-blown glass pieces in the 1970's were inspired by Swedish glass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that green glass! Checked it out further at your Mosaic Monday post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love glass, we watched a special on the history channel showing how they blow and it blew my mind, i had no idea what was involved and what a process it is. these are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me, hand-blown glass is miraculous, yet the miracle worker is human!
    Thanks for the great colors of your glass blog,
    HelenMac, ABC team

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love watching a glassblower at work. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colored glass -- all of it! It's gorgeous and one of my favorite things! Fun to see the glass blower and what a terrific post for the G Day! Hope you're enjoying a lovely week!

    Sylvia
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those colorful glasses are very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE these beautiful glass pictures! We have a glassbowing place here and I have seen it being blown but lost my pictures, I need to go again. So there are more than fabrics in the textile museum? This gets better every day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colours. There is a hand blown glass crystal place near where I live, such a fascinating craft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful colors. A good choice for ABC Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! Glass is just amazing to me. I still can't make the connection of how sand becomes glass. Now, that's what I call a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely coloured glass! Glassblowing is a real artform.Thanks for drawing my attention to this blog of yours!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...