Thursday 31 March 2011

BTT: Odd Reads

Oh-oh-oh, this week’s Booking Through Thursday question from Deb goes quite a bit beyond the usual stuff… P(f)unny she is, too, because while last week’s question was entitled Serial… she calls this one Cereal! Ha ha. Here’s the question:

If you’re like me, you grew up reading everything under the sun, like the cereal boxes while you ate your breakfast, the newspapers held by strangers on the subway, the tabloid headlines at the grocery store.

What’s the oddest thing you’ve ever read? (You know, something NOT a book, magazine, short story, poem or article.)

Oh gosh. How am I to remember that?! I think that at some point in history, there were short stories or encyclopedia kind of facts printed on our milk cartons (i.e. text not necessarily connected to milk). Maybe there still is – I’m not really keeping myself updated with milk cartons since I discovered I was lactose intolerant more than 15 years ago. (I now drink soy milk. Without stories.)

Ah. I see a loophole! If there’s one place where I’ve come across odd things… That will be the internet… ;) Probably especially while I was most involved in Harry Potter discussions between the sixth and seventh (=last) books in the series. (Some of the oddities I picked up then, I’m now trying to collect in my blog Through My Spectrespecs.) But the experience of blogging has also continued to be a source of  “odds and ends” that I wouldn’t otherwise have come across: Learning about places, plants, animals; words and expressions, quotes and weird signs; bits of history, mythology and whatever, from all over the globe. And Google and Wikipedia have made it very easy to look things up.

image

12 comments:

  1. You're right, there atre some incredibly strange things on the internet.
    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/03/booking-through-thursday_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Yup, I've had more than one doctor or teacher tell me to stay OFF of the internet about certain things because the information is, shall we say, abundant...and abundantly weird. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Internet --- that's a good answer! Many oddities there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The manual to my new stove, in fact I wrote about it yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the Internet has made for some very odd reading experiences. Informative, but also deeply weird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my mom brought home a dictionary one day when I was very young. I thought it was a book and sat down to try and read it.

    I didn't make it very far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, yes, the internet. I'm pretty sure I've thought I had a rare and deadly disease about 20 times thanks to WebMD. Most times it was just a cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Crest has been shown to be an effective decay preventive dentifrice that can be of signifigant value when used in a concientously applied program of oral hygeine and regular professional care". Now aren't you sorry you asked? Ha haha!!! I memorized the writing on the toothpaste tube when I was a kid. This is all from my memory. A totally useless piece of information now taking up valuable brain space!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the internet is amazing for getting sucked in to reading really random crazy stuff. I can spend hours doing it but I love it.

    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/booking-through-thursday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually had to think about this question. Check out my answer for this weeks Booking Through Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have since i learned to read, read anything i could find to read if doing something other than talking, i read the cereal boxes over and over they never changed but i read them. i keep reading material in the bathroom, i read the signs on the walls of the doctor, eye doctor, brochures, anything so i don't have to sit and do nothing. if i have already finished reading the things on the racks in line at the store, i start picking up those THINGS they try to sell us and reading what they are. the one thing i do NOT read is instructions, never ever, i always try to do it without reading them. as a child in church, if i had finished reading the bulletin they handed us, i would pick up the hymn book and read the songs. anything to keep from LISTENING

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great answer, the internet, stop and see mine and my giveaways.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...